George Hepple

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Re: George Hepple

Postby adrian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I don't know if the staccato is part of the Newcastle style. When he was playing with me, he used the top end of his bow and short strokes to get the staccato. I need to find my Honeymans book; George said the instruction on how to play Newcastle style was wrong, something about the direction of the bow-strokes.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Re: George Hepple and Honeyman

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 pm

I think 'the necessary articulation' might be better in the context of the Newcastle style?
I'll trust Matt that 'staccato' doesn't belong here.

There was obviously some technical disagreement between George and Honeyman.
It would be nice to know what this was more precisely.

John
John Gibbons

Postby adrian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

George said that the way Honeyman described how to play in the Newcastle style was wrong. As for staccato, it was Georges method when playing with the NSP's or he may have played this way normally, I don't know., Matt might.
Clarification: Does the Honeyman tutor describe how to play the Newcastle style?
adrian

Postby Julia Say » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes, the Honeyman tutor describes it in some detail, but it is possibly not the clearest explanation. I'm not a fiddler, but I make the observation from having watched fiddlers.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm

The relevant para now reads
"He had strict ideas on fiddle accuracy and playing techniques, and on what constituted a Northumbrian style.
He said that formerly, traditional fiddlers would play with the fiddle on the shoulder, rather than under the chin - in particular he stated that [[Robert Whinham (fiddler)|Whinham]] played in this way.
He said that formerly, traditional fiddlers would play with the fiddle on the shoulder, rather than under the chin - in particular he stated that Whinham played in this way. The piper [[Adrian Schofield]] (Inky Adrian), who knew him well, recalls that he used the 'Newcastle' style of bowing and used only the top 3 inches of his bow to get the articulation needed, and that he considered Honeyman's Strathspey, Reel and Hornpipe Tutor to be wrong in its teaching of this style. When playing fiddle along with smallpipes, he preferred to play more staccato, to go along with that instrument's articulation. "

Perhaps a sentence on Newcastle bowing is needed, and more feedback from fiddlers who knew him?

FARNE has no recordings of him piping, unfortunately. Are there any recordings of him in Forster's archive? Any ear-witness accounts?

John
John Gibbons

Postby Matt Seattle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 pm

I remember George and his wife's hospitality, conversation about the large number - and wide and versatile repertoire - of dance bands in Haltwhistle in his younger days, and that I ran over a rabbit on the way home, rather than a vivid impression of his playing. There are a couple of tunes on a Topic anthology, including one of a hornpipe he wrote, so that's the place to look for staccato if there is any.

I do remember George had an individual way of the end of str 1 of the Trumpet (Pugwash) Hornpipe -
f>b a>g f>e d>^c|d2 f2 d2

Newcastle style is about articulation, where the bow-strokes go, notes tied across the beat. The phrase above would be
dum dee-um dee-um dee-um dee|dum dum dum
rather than
dum-dee dum-dee dum-dee dum-dee|dum dum dum
Matt Seattle

Full Name: Matt Seattle

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Unfortunately the Topic collections I have - 'Bonny North Tyne', and 'Holey Ha'penny',
though they include recordings of him, only have his fiddle playing. Similarly FARNE.
So if there was ever a recording made of his piping, it is on a bit of tape in a cupboard somewhere....

The gloss of Newcastle bowing will be helpful - I'll include that, thanks.

John
John Gibbons

Postby John Gibbons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 am

"He had strict ideas on fiddle accuracy and playing techniques, and on what constituted a Northumbrian style.
He said that formerly, traditional fiddlers would play with the fiddle on the shoulder, rather than under the chin - in particular he stated that [[Robert Whinham (fiddler)|Whinham]] played in this way.
He said that formerly, traditional fiddlers would play with the fiddle on the shoulder, rather than under the chin - in particular he stated that Whinham played in this way. The piper [[Adrian Schofield]] (Inky Adrian), who knew him well, recalls that he used the 'Newcastle' style of bowing, where the bow-strokes go across the beat; he used only the top 3 inches of his bow to get the articulation needed. He also considered Honeyman's Strathspey, Reel and Hornpipe Tutor to be wrong in its teaching of this style. When playing fiddle along with smallpipes, he preferred to play more staccato, to go along with that instrument's articulation. "

Is this better?

John
John Gibbons

Postby adrian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 am

...........what I can remember-ish, at the sheltered housing:
Lost manuscripts due to water contamination. His wife played the piano badly-my thoughts on listenning to the J. Pandrich recordings. George showed me how to bow the fiddle-top 3 inches for staccato playing. He said Honeyman's tutor showed the incorrect Newcastle style. I could upload my recording of him and me, in discussion, plus playing together. Cassette is what I have of it. Anyone know of a windows 7 program to record from this?
adrian

Postby John Gibbons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 am

I have a widget that can copy a cassette recording to an mp3 - can you send me a copy of the cassette?
Don't send the original. For wikipedia, I need you to agree to me signing over any rights in it for common use by anyone for any purpose.

It is a shame about the lost MSS - that must have distressed him greatly.

Thanks,

John
John Gibbons

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum