WARNING

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

WARNING

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm

I have just received and, as it may be to the smallpipes list, I would guess that it is possible a number of you have received, an email proporting to come from John Dally and asking for money to be sent.
THIS IS A WELL KNOWN SCAM
John is not implicated as I would guess that he has no knowledge of this being done in his name It is one of the downsides of the old mailing list process.
One of the givaways is that the return email address is Vmail not Gmail - this is the only difference to John's real email address.

so my best advice is to just ignore it.

I am contacting the sender (using a web email address not connected or tracable to me) and I will report on what happens and I will see if I can reverse the scam<GGG>

For your info here is the text of the message I was sent:-

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about my
trip, because it was impromptu. I had to be in Englad for a program.
The program was successful, but my journey has turned sour. I was
attacked on my way back to the hotel. I wasn't hurt but I lost my
money, bank cards, mobile phone and my bag in the course of this
attack. I have immediately contacted my bank in other to block my
cards and also made a report at the nearest police station.

Meanwhile, I have also thought it expedient for me to confide this in
you and I will be glad to have it confidential between us. I'm
physically alright but I'm urgently in need of some money to complete
my major aim of being here and to settle my bills till my departure
here. Can you please lend me a sum of £ 1,400 pounds or any amount you
can afford to lend out? I promise to refund it in full as soon as I
return

Kindly let me know if you would be able to help me out with the money
or any amount you can afford, I can then forward you the details
require for a wire transfer via the Western Union Money Transfer
Service. I don't yet have a local phone (still gathering my bearings
and such), so email is probably the best form of contact for now. let
me know if you can be of any assistance. Please, let me know soonest.

Thanks for the help,
Best,
John Dally.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: WARNING

Postby GrahamRB » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Had the same thing Mike... deleted it and sent John a 'heads up' msg via another forum ;)
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Full Name: GrahamRB

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I am in discussion with this charactor - the stuff so far:-
I Sent:-
Dear John
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Let me know what I can do.
Where are you stuck?
Regards
Your Mate Bill
------------------------------------
His reply
Thanks alot for the help, I'm really sorry to reach out to you in that manner and I really appreciate your effort in helping me out of the mess. You can help me transfer the money through Western Union money transfer, you will need my name and location in England and I can receive money with my Passport here.

Here are the details:

Name: John Dally
London SE14 5YP England
United Kingdom

Please confirm the receipt of the details and as soon as you're able to complete the transfer, Please email me with the necessary details to receive the money and also let me know how you want to get the refund so I can make the arrangements to refund the money as soon as I get back home.

Thanks a lot for the support and I hope to hear from you soon.

John Dally.

------------------------------------
I responded with:-

Hi John
Anything to help a piper in need. What currency do you need the money in? I have a little cash here at home but it is all in dollars. How can I get it too you? I think that I have a friend in England near London should I see if he can help. Did you have your pipes with you and are they safe or lost with the reset of your stuff.
I haven't any idea how to use western union and I guess that I will have to ride into town to get to the bank. What should I do?
Regards

Bill[/i]
[hr]
pipemakermike

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Well I have had a reply:-
Bill,
All you need to wire the money through western union is my name and address given to you. I still have here my passport to pick the money as soon as you can send it successfully.

Kindly locate the nearest western union out near where you are and get the money sent. I will hang on here to get the Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN) as soon as you get the money sent successfully. Thanks and God bless you.

John.

I have replied:-
Hi John

I have checked and we do have a Western Union branch in the nearest town but I will have to go there to send the money.
I haven't done this before but I expect that it should be OK. I have checked and I have only $435 in cash here and my wife is away on a knitting course and has taken our cheque book with her. I don't know if that small amount of money will help you survive until I can send more. Let me know if you want me to go ahead and I will set off. It should only take me an hour or so to get to town and send the money.

Also I am worried about your set of pipes as you have my bellows in the box and I wouldn't want to lose them. Please assure me that they are safe.

Regards

bill
pipemakermike

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:19 pm

and he has replied:-

Please go ahead. I will hang on here to read back from you as soon as you sent it successfully. Thanks and God bless you.

John.

No reassurance about the pipes - he probably doesn't know what I am talking about. I will see if I can jerk his chain a little more.

I have sent:-
Hi John

I am setting out to send you the money. It is only 10am here so I should be able to get it sent before the lunchtime closure but I will have to get back home to let you know the money is on the way.

Regards

Bill
I have had a reply to say "OKAY" but I don't expect anything for a couple of hours. I haven't said where I am located but the 10am time should give a clue that I am somewhere in the new mexico area of the US.
pipemakermike

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Well I have sent off a reply that the money has been sent but I haven't sent the code to collect it so he will have to ask for it. I have a genuine code from a Nigerian spoof letter so it should look good - any other ideas gratefully received
What I sent:-
Hi John

I have been into town and sent you the money. Western Union assures me that the transfer is immediate so you should be able to pick it up now. Please let me know when it arrives and you are safe. Sorry to have been slow in getting back to you but I met up with a couple of buddies in town and, as I don't get in much since the accident, I had a few beers with them. You remember Jon and Dave who came with me last year to the annual piping blowout. Still I am home now and the money is on its way. Don't worry too much about refunding me as we can straighten up when you next visit.
When will you be coming home? I assume that you have already purchased your flight. Let me know if you need any more help.
If you need more money it will have to wait for a few days till my wife comes home with the chequebook.

Stay safe

Bill
pipemakermike

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Well he bit and here is his request for the MCTN number:-
Thanks but am here at western union so i will need the Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN) to pick up the money. Thanks and God bless you,

His messages are becoming a bit terse and the capitalisation is starting to get scrappy. Anyway I sent him the following and I would expect that he will probably twig that he has been strung along. I sent the following:-

Hi John

Opps Sorry I forgot to give you the transaction number.

MTCN 1829852360

Hurry Home

bill
------------------------------------------------
he replied with:-
Thanks. How much do you send in total?
So I have replied to him:-

Hi John

I sent $400. I thought it best that I kept the odd $35 incase I need anything before the wife returns. Is that going to be enough? Should I inform the US embassy in London? What is the time over there? it is 3:30pm here and hot as the devil. I checked on the postcode you sent and it appears to be cold and raining there so stay warm.

All the best and let me know how things are

Bill
pipemakermike

Postby John Gibbons » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:51 pm

The work of a true artist - hope you had as much fun doing this as he got frustration when he twigged he'd been had!

John G
John Gibbons

Re: WARNING The final result

Postby pipemakermike » Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 am

Here is the text of all the messages from the 4 people I pretended to be:-

http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/dally_scam.txt
pipemakermike

Return to General Forum