Now that David Burleigh has retired

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Now that David Burleigh has retired

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 pm

David has been one of the most important and prolific pipemakers in piping history IMHO. I don't know how many sets he has made but it can't be far short of 3000. I would hazard a guess that he has made more sets of pipes than all the other makers combined. There can hardly be a Northumbrian piper in the world who hasn't had a Burleigh set under his or her arm at some time. One has to ask the question what happens next? Where will aspiring pipers go for their sets? There are a growing number of pipe and reed makers who are hanging up their tools and retiring to the luxurious living bought by the proceeds of their craft<G>.
ImageImage
With so many Burleigh sets in the wild there should be enough secondhand sets to fill some of the gaps but reeds? Maintenance? Repairs?
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: Now that David Burleigh has retired

Postby Julia Say » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:31 pm

I am reliably informed that there 3172 sets in total.

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Re: Now that David Burleigh has retired

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 pm

As the most prolific Northumbrian pipemaker ever (?), and one who has got very many pipers started, David Burleigh probably needs a Wikipedia page. Someone with close access to the facts might be better placed than someone 300 or 3000 miles from Longframlington.

This is attached to the previous thread, not in wikigeeks, as that ghetto maybe needs abolishing.

John
John Gibbons

Return to General Forum