Bag making

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Bag making

Postby KimBull » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Well, it's time to make a bag so I'm using my existing one as a template. My Burleigh set has a polythene membrane between the leather bag and the bag cover. It's loosely shaped and taped in place, but clearly isn't intended to help keep things airtight. I'm guessing it's to protect the leather from my sweaty armpit. Am I right, or is it there for another reason?
Thanks in advance, Kim.
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Re: Bag making

Postby RobSay » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Hey Kim - the plastic is there to keep the goo-ey dressing used to make the leather airtight away from the cloth cover (and ultimately your clothes!)

With well tanned leather & good stitching you don't need the dressing.
Even with good leather + dressing the plastic shouldn't be a long term thing. Once the dressing has sealed the leather and been wiped down a few times there should be too much comgin through.

As regards templating & cutting:
- do you want to borrow one to cut some leather?
- Or I've got pre-cut bag leathers?

cheers

Rob
RobSay

Re: Bag making

Postby KimBull » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Rob. That's great news. I was worried it was a statement about my personal hygiene! Thanks very much for the offer but I think I have everything on hand. I'm hoping to get it all stitched up on Friday. I'll let you know how I get on.
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Return to Pipemaking