NPS Competitions 2015

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

NPS Competitions 2015

Postby edric » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:50 am

Hi all. A few questions about the NPS Competitions this year:

1. When are they going to be held? (Dates don't appear to be on the website - I might have a work trip around that time, so I need to make sure I don't double-book myself)

2. The rules on the website (from 2013) state: "Competitors must have previously won an Intermediate class, at any venue". I am presuming that having won an Open class at another venue would also be acceptable qualification.

3. The rules also state "at least one key change" - does this necessarily imply that a change of drone tuning is required? (I ask only because once I've started playing, my usual preference is to crack on and hang on for the bitter end - although with 4 tunes to go at, perhaps a break for re-tuning is less intrusive).
edric

Full Name: Edric Ellis

Re: NPS Competitions 2015

Postby RobSay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 pm

edric wrote:Hi all. A few questions about the NPS Competitions this year:

1. When are they going to be held? (Dates don't appear to be on the website - I might have a work trip around that time, so I need to make sure I don't double-book myself)

Saturday 17th October I believe (3rd Saturday & end of the October Whitley Bay course)

2. The rules on the website (from 2013) state: "Competitors must have previously won an Intermediate class, at any venue". I am presuming that having won an Open class at another venue would also be acceptable qualification

Yes absolutely - although getting yourself intentionally disqualified on a technicality would be a badge of honour! I tried it a couple of times by pointing out when I was going to deliberately break the rules .. never quite succeeded.

3. The rules also state "at least one key change" - does this necessarily imply that a change of drone tuning is required? (I ask only because once I've started playing, my usual preference is to crack on and hang on for the bitter end - although with 4 tunes to go at, perhaps a break for re-tuning is less intrusive).

Yup - changing drones is kind of the intent I think. In all honesty it also encourages you to put a varied set together. Personally I always found the break helped me relax into the music - and it puts a more human face on the performance as well rather than being an endurance race.

Very well played at Rothbury - richly deserved in a very strong group (all of whom were a delight to listen to). You should publish your extended Peacock Followed variations.

cheers

Rob
RobSay

Postby edric » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:55 am

RobSay wrote:Saturday 17th October I believe (3rd Saturday & end of the October Whitley Bay course)

Great, that was my guess.

RobSay wrote:Very well played at Rothbury - richly deserved in a very strong group (all of whom were a delight to listen to). You should publish your extended Peacock Followed variations.

Thanks! I was planning to record that set and shove it up on soundcloud before I forget how it goes - I will write down the extensions too, but they basically consist of sticking a few low Es at the bottom of the A arpeggios.
edric

Postby edric » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm

edric wrote:I was planning to record that set and shove it up on soundcloud before I forget how it goes - I will write down the extensions too, but they basically consist of sticking a few low Es at the bottom of the A arpeggios.

Ok, the recording is here: https://soundcloud.com/edric-ellis/bonny-dundee-peacock-follows-the-hen-swallows-tail-reel.

The extra variationlets for Peacock Follows the Hen basically comprise shoving a few extra notes the second time round some of the parts, so I've just written out those second-time-round pieces.
Attachments
Peacock Follows the Hen extras.png
Peacock Follows the Hen extras.png (86.14 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
edric

Postby Julia Say » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:29 pm

yes, 17 Oct. Open class is pm - the event starts in the morning with junior & novice classes etc - and supportive audience for these is very welcome.

Yes, a key change is intended to force a drone change. How any judge would view a clever use of drones to avoid doing so I couldn't say - but it is definitely *not* the intention to allow this. You do have four tunes, though - so it's 2 and 2 (or 1 and 3 of course, if you prefer). I have seen double key changes on a couple of occasions (eg. G -> D, and then on to A), but whether that's a good idea is up to you!

HTH

Julia
Julia Say

Full Name: Julia Say

Postby edric » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks Julia.

Julia Say wrote:You do have four tunes, though - so it's 2 and 2 (or 1 and 3 of course, if you prefer).

Yes, I hadn't originally realised it was to be 4 tunes - which I definitely think is preferable so that you don't have to have a tune left on its own.
edric

Postby dsomerville » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Edric
Thanks for the notes and the recording - lovely!
David
dsomerville

Full Name: David Somerville

Return to General Forum