Reed making test rig

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Reed making test rig

Postby Silversmith » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to set up an accurate pressure test rig for setting up & testing reeds. I note that Mike Nelson has done some extensive work using a 5 bar compressor & I am wondering if anyone has any further developements that they would like to share. In particular I am interested in the method of controlling the pressure for NSP reeds & also any moisture content.
I already use a manometer but you must all know how tiresome it can be inflating & deflating the bag using bellows can be each time you need to re-adjust a reed.
Much respect for Mike Nelson & all of his sterling work in these areas.
Thank you once again in advance.
John Ross
Silversmith

Full Name: John Ross

Re: Reed making test rig

Postby Richard Evans » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:19 pm

I have used a bottled gas regulator coupled to a compressor, feeding into the blowpipe, with a manometer connected to one of the drones. This works very well. I tried testing reeds without a bag but the lack of bag resonance throws a chanter badly out of tune.
It's an odd sensation using the thing, no matter how hard you squeeze the bag (within reason) the internal pressure remains the same.

Richard
Richard Evans

Postby Silversmith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi' Richard, Thank you & in that case I might think about setting up two rigs one for drone reeds & one for chanters. Was that an adjustable gas regulator or did you have another device to adjust the pressure?
Silversmith

Postby Richard Evans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 am

It's a large type, about four inches across, not the little ones used for caravan gas. You can unscrew a plastic cover and adjust the pressure with a screwdriver whilst the outlet is connected to a manometer.
Richard Evans

Postby Silversmith » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Thank you Richard,
I do have one of those in a box somewhere, I will dig it out & have a look inside to see if I can maybe make it externally adjustable. I bought a job lot of 10mm gas fittings which also included a couple of fire valves which seem to have quite some adjustability so maybe a combination of the two. I have a new compressor on order so I will post my results as soon as I have any.
Silversmith

Return to Pipemaking