drone reeds with adjustable internal volume

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

drone reeds with adjustable internal volume

Postby pipemakermike » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi
I have now had a chance to make a prototype and test the result. I used a reversed design that I had tried much earlier in the efforts to fine a good reliable reed design but this time I used a solid machined version based on the design by Richard Evans. The results showed that although a small difference was measurable the effect of reducing the internal volume was minimal. reducing the volume by 6mm (changing the 6mm long screw for a 12mm long screw) raised the pitch by 20 cents which was the same as moving the sliding part 2.5mm.:-

pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Re: drone reeds with adjustable internal volume

Postby Francis Wood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Interesting findings, Mike, and proof that investigation is always better than intuition.

There are many assertions made about the functioning of pipes and in particular, reeds, which are not consistent or backed up by evidence. So it's excellent to read about the progress of these continuing systematic investigations.

My guess put greater emphasis on the effect of internal volume and it's interesting to note that this is not such an important factor.

Francis
Francis Wood

Postby pipemakermike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi Francis

There are stil a few more things that I want to try. I want to try a reed with a significantly increased internal volume. I haven't quite worked out how to do it yet but I have a few ideas.
pipemakermike

Full Name: Mike Nelson

Postby Dave S » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Mike,

Would it now be possible to 3d print drone bodies (and other stuff like keys, reeds, valves etc etc) using a 3d printing service or a hobby centre
I know Richard Heard mentioned something somewhere ages ago but in the meantime the range of "printable" materials has blossomed

Cheers

Dave ( ps did the photos help?)
Dave S

Full Name: Dave Singleton

Postby Perdix » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:45 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but just in case someone else chances on it....
There are facilities that are available online that can print 3D at good resolution (in other words, produce fine details) at relatively affordable prices.

You would struggle with reeds, but keys should present no problem.

BR,

Myles
It's either right or wrong.
Of course, there are several versions of right...
Perdix

Full Name: Myles Crowder

Return to Pipemaking