Cane Drone Reed 'jumps' in pitch

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

Cane Drone Reed 'jumps' in pitch

Postby RHLloydBGF » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Hello experts! I have a set of Burleigh pipes and at a certain pressure one of the drones jumps up in pitch. If I lower the pressure it jumps down again. It just misses out a range of pitch just above where I have it tuned. When playing, the slightest rise in pressure and up it goes. Is the reed finished or are there any tecniques that might remove the problem or shift the problem away from where I'm using it. Many thanks.
RHLloydBGF

Full Name: Richard Lloyd

Re: Cane Drone Reed 'jumps' in pitch

Postby andymay » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi!!

Yes cane reeds do this sometimes.

The good news is that it seems the reeds which jump will ultimately tend to be more stable.

How much higher is the note it jumps to? I ask because usually the note the reed jumps to is the true pitch of the reed, and the most stable playing state. So basically in your position i would try and make the reed jump more easily i.e. below normal playing pressure, rather than trying to make it stop jumping.

I'd do this by attempting to make the reed more closed at rest, either by rolling vigorously between the palms or by holding it closed while passing it through a flame. Failing those tricks it might be worth thinning the root ever so slightly.

Assuming that stage to be successful the reed will jump earlier as you inflate the pipes, and hopefully stay on one note.

Next task would be to adjust the pitch if necessary by adding some wax to the tip.

Hope that helps - let us know how you get on!!
andymay

Full Name: andy may

Return to Pipemaking