turned wood drone reed bodies...

Pipemaking, reedmaking & maintanence. Expert pipemakers are eager to answer your questions

turned wood drone reed bodies...

Postby Tpfairfax » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:33 am

I have recently (being, as ever, well behind the curve!) come across some drone reeds with turned wood bodies and cane tongues....
They were rather nice - quite loud - but not as harsh as some of the louder metal bodied reeds - though I suspect individual reeds might differ according to build.

Does anyone have any form with these turned wooden bodies - particularly with respect to wood selection - and any pitfalls!

Am about to start experimenting - but it seemed sensible to see if there are lessons that have already been learned by wiser heads than mine!!

KR
T
Tpfairfax

Full Name: Tom Fairfax

Re: turned wood drone reed bodies...

Postby Vic Hill » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:39 pm

I have had successful results with wood drone reed bodies. I have used ordinary softwood and even balsa wood on one occasion. The one made with balsa sounded quieter than normal (perhaps some of the higher harmonics were being lost). I have also used very hard close-grained hardwood (about 1.2 SG) which allows you to reduce the cross-section without danger of the reed collapsing. Hardwood bodies produce a bright sound which might come across as louder.
Vic Hill

Postby KimBull » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:38 am

I believe Dave Shaw mikes these, so it might be worth getting in touch with him too.
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Postby RobSay » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Dave Shaw certainly does use wooden bodies for the low D & G - current set I have has brass bodies for the high reeds (and I think they are originals). My recollection is that Lionel Miller also used or experimented with these along with metal tongues and his were very stable. He showed me some older reeds that included wooden bodies - and every possible combination of materials you can think of! I can't recall exactly what wood Lionel used for his bodies - but I think it was blackwood or lignum. One of his sets is in the Chantry so it would be possible to check.

I think it's worth pursuing; wood can be engineered - and the whole unit will be a closer match to the mechanical system of a cane reed with a vibrating body - especially with less dense woods

I did once make a complete carbon fibre drone reed - and the whole thing vibrated like a cane reed. It was however a real hassle to construct and adjust and I haven't returned to it yet preferring to spend time with cane experiments which have a much faster turn around!
RobSay

Postby Tpfairfax » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks both - instructive - I will let you know how I get on!

T
Tpfairfax

Full Name: Tom Fairfax

Postby KimBull » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 am

John Ross, based in Devon, makes his from Blackwood. He's on Facebook and a member of the NSP Facebook group and always seems happy to share information so I'm sure it would be worth contacting him too.
KimBull

Full Name: Kim Bull

Return to Pipemaking