Hi from a Newbie - and a stupid question...

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Hi from a Newbie - and a stupid question...

Postby Anyanka » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi, I have been coveting Northumbrian smallpipes since sitting in on a workshop with Anthony Robb in August, and have just been offered a set of Burleigh pipes for a very reasonable price (7 keys, serial no. 2268).
Here's the stupid question: Would they be F+ by default - how do I check? My tuner is all over the place as I can't get the pressure right/even yet.
And will they be suitable for the Halsway Manor NSP weekend in March ? (I very much hope so because I just got the very last bed, and paid the deposit.)
Finally, could somebody point me to a fingering chart for 7-key NSPs (the finger holes are obvious, but the keys less so)?
Anyanka

Full Name: Kirsten Baron

Re: Hi from a Newbie - and a stupid question...

Postby Richard Evans » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

It would be a good idea to buy a copy of John Liestman's tutor book. It's a detailed book sold in aid of Medecins Sans Frontiers.

"The Northumbrian Smallpipes Tutor by John Liestman is now available for download as a PDF, price £12 (or equivalent in other currencies).
The entire purchase cost of this book is being donated to Medecins Sans Frontiers. To make your donation (minimum £12), visit http://www.msf.org.uk/
Please do not allow the tutor to be copied or distributed without payment.

Let us know (using the email address on our website) when you have made your donation and you will receive an email titled 'I shared "The-Northumbrian-Smallpipes-Tutor.pdf" with you in OneDrive' which includes a link for download."
Richard Evans

Postby Anyanka » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Thank you - I have found a couple of good video instructions online, but I much prefer learning from printed information. Selling the book in aid of charity makes it doubly irresistible!
Anyanka

Postby Anyanka » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:39 pm

And Thank You again - I have downloaded the Liestman tutor and dipped into it: as well as being useful & informative, it's a cracking read, funny and well-written!
Anyanka

Postby Richard Evans » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:15 am

Anyanka wrote:And Thank You again - I have downloaded the Liestman tutor and dipped into it: as well as being useful & informative, it's a cracking read, funny and well-written!

Absolutely- John did a good job there!
Richard Evans

Postby RobSay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:55 pm

Anyanka wrote:... a set of Burleigh pipes ... (7 keys, serial no. 2268) ...

Would they be F+ by default - how do I check? My tuner is all over the place as I can't get the pressure right/even yet.

They are almost certainly in 'F+' - if you measure the length of the chanter, it will be around 27cm long (from where the chanter joins the stock right down to the end cap). If your more than 1cm shorter or 2 cm longer then you might have some more exotic.

Anyanka wrote:And will they be suitable for the Halsway Manor NSP weekend in March ? (I very much hope so because I just got the very last bed, and paid the deposit.)

Yes - 7k F+ is the 'standard', many other attendees will have something v. similar - and all tutors will be familiar with them.
RobSay

Return to General Forum