First 30 Tunes

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

First 30 Tunes

Postby GrahamRB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:26 am

Just wanted to say thank you to Edric for posting the link (and the playing)...

http://soundcloud.com/edric-ellis/sets/ ... -30-tunes/

I've started this as a new thread rather than clutter up TOTM ...and it makes it easier to find... maybe it could be made a 'sticky'? It's an invaluable resource for beginners.
Graham
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
GrahamRB

Full Name: GrahamRB

Re: First 30 Tunes

Postby edric » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks for the kind words - it's really an exercise for me to get to grips with those tunes. I've found hearing others play tunes a great way of getting a feel for how things should go, so I thought I'd share my efforts. And I've found recording myself a great help for making sure I really know the tunes, and can play without too many mistakes.
edric

Full Name: Edric Ellis

Postby John Gibbons » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I liked these - very good, clear, playing.
When are you doing the next 1/2 dozen?

John
John Gibbons

Postby edric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm

John Gibbons wrote:When are you doing the next 1/2 dozen?

As and when I get time! (Amount of time take to record depends strongly on a number of factors, not least of which is how well I know the tune already).
edric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Just thought I would point out that the next 3 are up now,

Many Thanks, Edric, these are a great help :)
Eric

Full Name: Eric McCairns

Postby Brynley » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:05 am

I,m also enjoying these, and noticing the "detached" notes,something I need to work on. I'm assuming you are playing a 7 key chanter (due to the alternate notes in Holmes Fancy )I'm curious as to what make your set of pipes are , the tone seems very different than mine, although that could be my lack of technique ;). Thanks for sharing these.
Brynley

Full Name: Bryn Wilkin

Fools rush in

Postby Barry Say » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Having (re)visited Edrics soundcloud site, I feel that I must say that his rendition of Holmes' Fancy is, to my mind, streets ahead of the rest. It has that extra ????? which makes piping really enjoyable. I don't think I would play it quite that way myself, but what does that matter? It sounds like the playing of someone who has a good idea what is 'going on' in the tune.

A purely personal, irrational, and inexplicable opinion!

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby edric » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

Brynley wrote: I'm assuming you are playing a 7 key chanter (due to the alternate notes in Holmes Fancy )I'm curious as to what make your set of pipes are , the tone seems very different than mine, although that could be my lack of technique ;).

My chanter is 9 key - standard 7 plus Fnats (I decided I *really* liked the sound of "Elsie Marley" with the Fnats, so had to get those extra 2 keys). My pipes are a recent Richard Evans set - I'm very happy with them, the chanter sounds really crisp and bright.
edric

Postby edric » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 am

All 30 tunes are now there on the original link, for what they're worth. It was certainly an interesting challenge for me to try and get each of those tunes into some sort of vaguely reasonable shape.
edric

Postby John Gibbons » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Excellent - really good that these have all been recorded in one place, and done well too.
The Friendly Visit came out well on this, with a nice contrast between which notes you play long, say high g and f sharp - and the very short low D's.
I agree with Barry that Holmes' Fancy is very crisp, especially on the Bcd2 figures; similar figures come up all over the place in the old tunes - the notes really pop here.
Well done!
John
John Gibbons

Next

Return to General Forum