Helping Pipers to pipe better

A general forum for all sorts of piping related discussions. If in doubt, post here. All questions answered<G>

Helping Pipers to pipe better

Postby Barry Say » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:52 pm

This is a topic which derives from Old traditions dying out.

When I joined the NPS and became aware of the wider piping community, I found a group of people who, whatever their differences, generally wanted others to succeed in their piping. Their are many individual examples I could name, but I would like to mention in particular the late Tommy Breckons of Bellingham. Being late, I no longer have to consider his possible reactions.

In the later years of his life he taught several open class winners on a one-to-one basis, and he was always willing to tutor young pipers who he felt had some potential on the pipes. He openly stated that there was only one proper way to play the pipes, and would not tolerate pupils who thought otherwise.
He considered he was passing on what he had learned from Tom Clough and, as he had been given the knowledge freely, he felt it would be (almost) immoral to take payment for teaching.

Just a thought.

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Re: Helping Pipers to pipe better

Postby adrian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 am

One way to play the NSP's? I agree.
Was taught free by TC and TB taught free to other's? I do not agree-(but I would if I had a first income, my farm and gun dealing)!
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Postby Barry Say » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:28 am

When I mentioned the free tuition of the past, I wasn't suggesting that no one ever took payment for teaching, simply that where they could tradition bearers of the olden times gave freely of their knowledge.

When sharing that knowledge requires travelling significant distances so that a 1 hour lesson takes up an afternoon of someones time, plus the expenses of travelling, I think the tutor deserves some recompense. Like wise for the 'Pipers Days' which are organised by various groups and individuals, when a tutor is asked to prepare 3 workshops and take part in a concert in the evening, that means giving up a whole day which could be spent elsewhere and I think that this deserves a realistic remuneration.

On the other hand if it ever became the case that knowledge was only passed on in a commercial environment, this would be so far removed from the ethos of traditional music that ............

I think this BB offers a chance for the piping community to learn from those who have significant knowledge to impart, and I for one am very glad that Chris and Adrian are involved.

I also think that John Dally's TOTM project is a great start in allowing pipers to hear one another. In particular I like to hear the 'ordinary' playing of recording artists which hasn't been through editing processes involved in CD production.

Enough for now

Barry
Barry Say

Full Name: Barry Say

Postby adrian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 am

Ah!
TB, Mowatt, G.G. Armsstrong and Hepple would not take on beginners who did not show their competence with the instrument.
adrian

Full Name: inky-adrian

Return to General Forum